I had hoped today’s blog would be a jumper I’ve been knitting. However as I haven’t quite finished stitching the pieces together that will have to wait until next week.
So instead I thought I’d show you a rucksack I made last year. The design comes from Susan Briscoe ‘21 sensational patchwork bags’ book. If you love making bags, check out her books as they’re brilliant.
It was only after I’d stitched the length of strips together did I realise that I had forgotten to add the seam allowance. Opps!!!! They should have been 1 ½ inch wide, instead of 1 inch wide.
Thankfully all I needed to do was add a couple more extra strips to each panel. Note to one’s self – remember to double check seam allowances in future…..
I then made patchwork blocks for the front and side pockets.
For the front of the flap I hand stitched a fabric star to the quilted strip panel.
As I’m not very good with a hammer I asked Mr Gertie to insert the eyelets around the top of the band. To neaten the ends of the cord I stitched little ‘bells’ to them.
After giving the rucksack its first outing I felt it needed a zipped pocket inside the bag. I cut into the lining (that was the scary part in case I’d made a mistake!!!!) then added the pocket.
With the exception of the eyelets, the rucksack was made using recycled material. The strips and patchwork blocks came from old shirts or scrap bits of fabric. The base, eyelet band, cord, binding and straps came from a trouser suit I’d made many moons ago, and the lining came from an old pair of light blue trousers.
I'm really pleased with how it came out and it just goes to show what can be made simply by using scraps...
Have a great week.
PS pop over to Handmade Monday to see what other fellow craft bloggers have been up to.