This lemon cake is no ordinary lemon cake. Whilst it looks harmless it should be given an ASBO as it will give your taste buds a really good smacking.
The lemon crunch topping is the offender of this attack. It starts the moment take your first bite. The crunchy sweet sugar and tart lemon topping join forces to assault your buds until every last crumb has been eaten. You have been warned!!!!!!!
Lemon Crunch Cake
- 3oz self-raising flour
- 3oz caster sugar
- 3oz margarine or butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon grated
- 3oz granulated sugar
- Juice from one lemon
- Line a 7 inch/18cm round cake tin with baking parchment or a non-stick liner.
- Pre-heat oven 180ºc/Gas Mk 4. Fan oven 160ºc.
- Sift the flour into a bowl then add the sugar, margarine/butter and lemon rind.
- Beat well until everything is combined and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the tin then make a slight well in the centre of the cake. This will stop the centre from rising too much.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes until golden brown. To check to see if it’s cooked gently press the surface of the cake with a finger. If it springs back it’s cooked.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven sprinkle the sugar all over the top of the cake. Don’t be alarmed by the amount of sugar – you really do need to use all of it. Next carefully spoon over the lemon juice making sure every bit of sugar is covered with the juice.
- Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin to allow the lemon topping to harden.
- Carefully remove the parchment or liner as you don't want to leave any of the topping behind. Some of the sugar may have run down the side of the cakes and formed a slight crust. You can brush it off if you so wish, but personally I like to leave it on.