It seems like it’s been going on forever !!! I don’t usually take this long to make a dress, it’s just with Mr Gertie finishing work recently, we’ve been having lie-ins and getting out and about. Plus while I’ve been sewing instead of listening to music, I put my DVD’s on. Bad move as I ended up watching them....
Even though I had worked the size and fit out from the toile, after cutting out the pattern pieces from the dress fabric I tacked them together instead of machine stitching.
This was the first time I’d seen how the dress would look in the fabric and as the toile was made up from any old material, it was always going to drape differently. As it happened the two back side pieces needed to be taken in slightly.
Before cutting out the front pleat panel I altered it again (just a slight reshaping at the sides) and tried it for size next to the dress fabric. The contrasting in colours looked really good, so much so, that Mr Gertie even suggested I do something like that if I make the dress again.
After what seemed like endless toile fittings and alterations, the time had come to machine stitch the dress together.
As far as the pattern was concerned the dress should be finished. However I decided to put a lining in it. I don’t do it for all the dresses I make – wearing a simple slip is just as good – but in this case I thought it would be worth doing.
There was rather a lot of hand sewing involved and as I like to try and make my stitches as small and neat as possible, it took quite a while.
It’s been a long haul to get there but I’m really pleased with it. Now it’s the turn of number two....
Have a great week.
PS why not pop over to Handmade Monday to see what other fellow craft bloggers have been up to.