Pages

Friday 12 December 2014

December's bake of the month

 

I fancied making a lemon cake but on no account was it to have the word ‘drizzle’ in it!!!!

Don’t get me wrong I love a lemon drizzle cake. However it just seems that every recipe for lemon cake is a ‘drizzle cake’. I wanted to do something different for a change.

I flicked through my various recipe books and came across something from the Good Food magazine which sounded promising. It didn’t have ‘drizzle’ in the title so that was a good start....

The recipe was for a citrus poppy cake. I’ve only ever used poppy seeds in bread making so thought it would be interesting to see who they tasted in a cake.

It didn’t disappoint. The citrus really hits you and the poppy seeds gave it a lovely nutty taste. It would also work brilliantly with just lemon or orange.

I’m a big fan of licking the bowl clean. It’s one of the perks of baking. However on this occasion I would strongly recommend you don’t. The batter mix is horrible!!!!


Citrus poppy cake 
(adapted from a Good Food recipe)

Ingredients:
  • 6oz/150g butter/margarine, softened
  • 6oz/150g caster sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 9oz/250g self-raising flour
  • 2oz/50g poppy seeds
  • Zest of 2 oranges and 2 lemons
  • 4 rounded tbsp of natural yoghurt
  • Icing sugar (optional)

Method:
  • Line a 2lb loaf tin. I use Lakeland’s cake liners but you could use baking parchment.
  • Pre-heat oven to 150º c/Gas Mk 2. Fan oven 130ºc.
  • Put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix everything together until smooth.
  • Pour the batter into the loaf tin and level the top.
  • Bake for 40 – 45 minutes until golden brown. To check to see if it’s cooked gently press the surface of the cake with a finger. If it springs back it’s done.
  • Leave the cake to cool slightly in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack.
  • Once the cake has cooled completely you can serve it as it is or dust the top with sieved icing sugar.

2 comments: