Pages

Tuesday 17 January 2017

Couldn’t live without

A couple of years ago I did a post about what things were in my sewing bag. That got me thinking. Out of all the items, what was the one thing that I couldn’t live without?

It would have to be my left-handed tape measure.

Left handed tape measure


For many years I made do with a regular tape measure (numbers going from left to right) and read it upside down.  It was not ideal but as there wasn’t anything else I just made do.

About 17 years ago I was sewing a lot more than I had been and was getting fed up with my tape measure being ‘wrong’. I searched online for a left-handed shop I’d visited in London in the early 80’s, to see if they were still going.

They were, and guess what they had in stock, a left-handed tape measure !!!! Sadly though I didn’t buy it as the postage was phenomenally expensive. It was about three times the cost of the tape measure....

A friend of ours used to visit London quite regularly so I asked him if ever he was passing the shop, could he call in and get it for me. A week later he handed me a little present. It was the left-handed tape measure. As he wasn’t due down to London for several weeks he’d asked a friend who lived in the capital to buy it for him.

Over time the tape measure has seen a fair bit of action, resulting in a lot of battle scars and a few of the numbers have worn off, but I could never be without it.

Gertie xx

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I've not visited your blog in ages so I wanted to say hi. I've never heard of a left hand tape measure. The left handed shop sounds like a fun place to visit. I hope you are doing well. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete